Vitamin C is undoubtedly one of the most researched nutrients, and its role as an antioxidant is well understood. Studies show that consuming more vitamin C can increase your blood antioxidant levels by up to 30-50% percent, which helps the body’s natural fortifications fight inflammation.
Vitamin C encumbers and kills Mycobacterium smegmatis, a non-pathogenic bacterium. In addition to health problems, vitamin C also helps combat any fungal infections of the skin and nails. It is prudent to consume, therefore, at least 500mg of vitamin C on a day- to-day basis as it helps in advancing immunity, and plummeting the brutality and duration of common cold, flu, and infections from viruses.
VITAMIN C RESTORING IMMUNITY
One of the main reasons people take vitamin C is to boost or restore their immunity. It helps encourage the production of white blood cells known as lymphocytes and phagocytes, which help protect the body against infections.
* Vitamin C helps white blood cells function more efficiently while shielding them from damage by potentially harmful molecules, such as free radicals.
* Studies have also shown that vitamin C may shorten healing time for wounds. Low vitamin C levels have been linked to poor health outcomes. People who have pneumonia tend to have lower vitamin C levels, and vitamin C has been shown to curtail the recovery time.
Vitamin C levels in white blood cells (immune cells) are ten times higher than in plasma, which indicates the functional role of the vitamin in these immune cells. Vitamin C has been shown to affect the functions of phagocytes, production of interferon, replication of viruses, and maturation of T-lymphocytes. Vitamin C also protects these immune cells from oxidative damage when they try to clear out bacteria, viruses, etc. Hundreds of clinical studies have shown that Vitamin C has a positive impact on many infections caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc.
It is about strengthening your immunity and preventing the mild flu to become a life-threatening condition. Basically, the idea is to strengthen the immunity of the body to fight the virus than to find remedies for the virus. With COVID-19, we know that the main reason for the extensive lung injury is the excessive free radicals and oxidative stress mounted by the dysfunctional immune system in an effort to kill the virus but ends up harming the patient instead. Vitamin C, a water-soluble powerful anti-oxidant, can neutralize these free radicals and reduce oxidative damage to the lungs.
When the balance between oxidants and anti-oxidants is lost, that is when the damage happens and patients progress to severe disease.
DOSAGE AND PREPARATION
When taken for general health, the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of vitamin C is as follows:
– Children 0 to 6 months: 40 milligrams per day
– Children 7 to 12 months: 50 milligrams per day
– Children 1 to 3 years: 15 milligrams per day
– Children 4 and 8 years: 25 milligrams per day
– Children 9 to 13 years: 45 milligrams per day
– Females 14 to 18 years: 65 milligrams per day
– Males 14 to 18 years: 75 milligrams per day
– Females 19 and over: 75 milligrams per day
– Males 19 and over: 90 milligrams per day
– Pregnant females 14 to 18: 80 milligrams per day
– Pregnant females 19 and over: 85 milligrams per day
– Breastfeeding females 14 to 18: 115 milligrams per day
– Breastfeeding females 19 and over: 120 milligrams per day
Vitamin C which is of 100% natural origin is up to 90% absorbed by the body. In contrast, Vitamin C as a supplement in the body is absorbed up to 40% and can cause damage to the positive bacteria that are found in the intestines Numerous studies have clearly shown its ability to help lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol, as well as reduce risk of developing chronic disease, such as heart disease and lung cancer for smokers. Smoking just one cigarette can deplete blood levels of vitamin C by 50%!
People who smoke should take an additional 35% milligrams per day. Those with a diagnosed vitamin C deficiency should take between 200 to 500 milligrams per day until blood levels are normalized. Vitamin C at doses of 1-2g is absolutely safe and causes no side effects whatsoever. It is especially useful for the elderly and for those with pre-existing conditions to strengthen their immunity. Many hospitals in New York, China, and Shanghai have already begun using Intravenous Vitamin C to treat patients with severe COVID-19 infections. Anecdotal evidence from these centers suggests promising results.